Two cannons abutting the property lend the Cannon Hill subdivision its name. These cannons were purchased by William Wentworth from Captain Daniel Webster Nickerson who salvaged them from the wreckage of the Wydah, the ship helmed by the Notorious Black Sam Bellamy and was sunk off the coast in 1717.
In the 1800’s Solomon Howes and his family acquired the estate and considerably expanded it. Constructing two barns and a beautiful home while keeping the original Cottage. The Wentworth family would later take up the reigns of the Estate and continue its legacy.
There are a three options for the new owners; enjoy it as is, keep the historic elements and modernize the estate. Or design and build an estate of your own.
The cottage built in the early 1700’s by the Son of William and Anne Nickerson; the Founding family of the Town of Chatham. With its hand hewn beams and original beehive oven still in place, this cottage marking the beginning of the impressive Wentworth Estate.